Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tutorial - How to Make a Batik Child's Apron

Use glue as a resist

Batik Child's Apron Tutorial at Art with Kids Blog

"I've been trying to come up with projects to do with children that use fabric since a friend gave me about 20 yards of a shiny synthetic cloth. The apron shape is cut out using pinking shears. The designs in the apron are created using an adaptation of batik. Instead of using hot wax I "drew" the designs on the fabric with Elmer's washable glue gel. After allowing the glue to dry overnight I painted the apron with diluted acrylic paint. Once the paint dried I washed the apron in the sink with hot water to melt the glue leaving the white designs that you can see in the photo. The paint can be set by tossing the apron in a hot dryer. The ties are grosgrain ribbon".... Read more

Pin It

1 comment: